Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Camera Lens Rental

Hi All,

We had a couple of photo shoots this past weekend (wedding and senior photos) so I decided to try out a lens that I have been thinking about buying.  I really like my fixed focal length lens; a Nikon 35mm, f/1.8 and 50mm, f/1.4 lens.  The photos are crisp and play to my short depth of field techniques.  They are also very affordable but have the obvious limitation of not being able to zoom in or out as needed.   I have had my eye on the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 but at about $1,700 it’s a little on the pricey side so you had better be sure it’s something that will work for you before you buy one. 


That’s what lead me down the rental trail for the first time.  I follow a lot of photo blogs and there is one company in particular lately that has been mentioned quite a bit.  LensProToGo.  About a week out, I went to their web site to check it all out.  I found the lens I wanted to try and signed up for a 4-day rental.   The 4-day rental cost me $84 and included shipping in both directions.  As I recall, there was a $12 insurance coverage but I opted out because I already have business insurance. 


Signing up was painless and efficient.  About 5 minutes after I placed my order, I received a phone call from the company.  Very personable and they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting and exactly what the lens was good for. 

The lens arrived on the day I requested by UPS.  Signature was required (as expected). 

Inside the box, I found a protective Pelican case that contained the lens as well as a return address label. Also a lollipop that my kids were immediately were attracted to :-)




I put the lens through its paces over the weekend shooting about 3000+ photos and it worked great.  On the 4th day, I placed the lens back in the Pelican case and back in the box it came in, resealed it, placed the return UPS label on the box and dropped it off to my local UPS store. 


The whole process worked very well.  Look for future posts of the photos we took with the lens. 






No comments:

Post a Comment